Do you need to replace your fridge? Has it bothered you that your fridge sticks out into the kitchen further than you'd like? A counter depth refrigerator may be your best bet.
In this article, we'll look at the 5 best counter depth refrigerators and find a space-saving solution to streamline the look in your kitchen.
The 5 Best Counter Depth Refrigerators
|Best for Budget Under $1,299||Frigidaire Gallery FGSC2335TF||Affordable price point, smudge-proof stainless, LED Lights, 36" 22.2 cu.ft.|
|Best Value Under $2.999||Bosch B21CT80SNS||Luxury features and design at great package deals, Ice Maker with filtered water, excellent humidity and air circulation for food preservation|
|Most Reliable Under $2,399||GE Profile PYE22KSKSS||Overall super reliable and excellent factory service support, handsfree autofill water dispenser is a hit, 36" 22.2 cu. ft.|
|Innovative Design Under $3,149||Samsung RF22K9381SR||Showcase door for most frequented items, Flex Zone converts to freezer or fridge, 36" 22 cu. ft.|
|All Refrigerator and Freezer Under $3,599||Frigidaire Professional FPRU19F8RF||64" width, 38 cu. ft., Great style with built-in like trim kit, spacious to handle all of your refrigeration needs.|
Without breaking the bank, you can now get a counter depth refrigerator that follows the contours of your cabinets and stands proudly in your kitchen.
Most people are confused about terminology on refrigerators. Many of us mix up built-in versus counter depth refrigerators. Here is a quick hint on how to distinguish the two. Built-in refrigerators are flush with cabinetry and may be installed with custom cabinet panels for completely seamless integration. Price points will also give you a clue on built-in versus counter depth. Built-in refrigerators usually appeal to the luxury market with prices over $5,000. Brands such as Sub Zero, Miele or Thermador dominate this space.
Essential advantages of the counter depth refrigerators:
- Your kitchen will look tasteful and beautiful.
- Typically counter depth refrigerators are a bit higher in price than their full-size counterparts but pack in more features including a more flexible interior.
How to avoid common mistakes before purchasing a counter depth refrigerator:
- Start by measuring your space and being aware of your dimensions (although this sounds straightforward, the problems begin here).
- Remember, kitchen cabinet depths are not standard. They can be anywhere from 24" to 26 1/2" deep. When measuring, factor in the base cabinet, the backsplash thickness, and countertop bullnose, etc.
- The best counter depth refrigerators do not come in a standard depth as the name might imply. The main body (or as we call it the box) is typically 24" to 25" deep but in your overall dimensions factor in the door thickness and handle depth. Some models may also require a small air gap behind the unit.
- Measure the height and add the hinge height as well.
- Remember counter depth fridges are not built-in and you cannot make them flush to cabinets as the hinges will not have space to turn. Also, you cannot install a custom panel on a counter depth fridge.
(1) Best Budget Counter Depth Refrigerator:
Frigidaire Gallery FGSC2335TF 36" 22.2 Cu. Ft. CounterDepth Side by Side Refrigerator - Stainless Steel under $1,299
Why we like it:
An excellent price point for a counter depth refrigerator.
- Smudge-Proof Stainless Steel - Resists fingerprints for easy maintenance.
- Fairly spacious with 22.2 cu. ft. capacity
- LED Lighting
- Adjustable Shelves
(2) Best Value in Counter Depth Refrigerators:
Bosch B21CT80SNS 800 Series 36" Counter Depth Refrigerator - Stainless Steel, Energy Star under $2,999
Why we like it:
Bosch makes high-quality appliances. This counter depth refrigerator is no exception, and it is listed with a pretty high price tag at $2,699. However, this unit usually has a $200 exclusive savings rebate in our store at Designer Appliances. On top of it, during promotional periods you will get an additional 10%-15% discount on a Bosch package that includes this refrigerator. All in all, a great Bosch counter depth fridge on or around $2,000 is an excellent deal.
- Ice Maker w Filtered Water, LED Lights
- Humidity controlled crisper drawers help keep food fresher longer
- Dual AirCool system provides even temperatures and minimizes odor transfer
- SuperCool generates greater cold reserves so that freshly stored food can be rapidly chilled
- SuperFreezing protects frozen food from defrosting when loading the freezer with new items
(3) Best Counter Depth Refrigerator with Consistent Reliability:
GE Profile PYE22KSKSS 36" 22.2 cu. ft. Counter-Depth French Door Refrigerator under $2,399
Why we like it:
GE Profile is overall a reliable brand with great factory service. This particular fridge has been performing reliably for our customers for many years. Typical complaints we get revolve around occasional rusting which indicates that the cleaning crew in the household used harsh chemicals unbeknown to the homeowner. Occasional computer board issues that are covered under the warranty and modular replacement take care of the problem in a jiffy. Door alignment issues sometimes creep up as it is not intuitive for DIY self-installers that doors are adjustable. We recommend GE Profile without reservations.
- Hands-free autofill dispenser - lets you walk away while your container automatically fills with filtered water
- Full width, electronic temperature-controlled deli and vegetable drawers
- Option to incorporate a second ice maker in the freezer
- TwinChill evaporators separate climates in the fresh food and freezer sections help keep foods fresh
- LED lighting
(4) Best counter depth refrigerator with innovative design
Samsung RF22K9381SR 36" 22 cu. ft. 4 Door Flex Food Showcase Counter Depth Refrigerator under $3,149
Why we like it:
This Samsung refrigerator will stand out in your kitchen. You can be assured that you will get many compliments for choosing this fridge. Their Flex Zone compartment is a hit, and it converts one of the quadrants into a freezer or a fridge on demand. Thanks to Samsung's advanced technology your food will stay fresh longer in this model.
- 36" 22 cu. ft. 4 Door Refrigerator - Flex Zone (converts portion of the freezer to the fridge when needed)
- Food Showcase with Metal Cooling Displays on the go items front and center (door in door)
- Premium cooling system features 3 evaporators for ultimate freshness
- Ice Master produces up to 5 lbs. of ice per day and stores up to 2.9 lbs. of ice
- High Efficiency LED Lighting
- The premium stainless steel exterior has a special coating that makes your fridge look shiny clean every day
(5) Best counter depth all refrigerator and all freezer columns
Why we like it:
Best price point in the market for a high-end, pro-style extra large 64" refrigerator and freezer columns. A smudge-proof stainless steel door is easy to clean and presents well. This set comes fully loaded with modern amenities such as an internal ice maker, LED lights, adjustable shelves. Use the innovative trim for the built-in look.
- 32" 19 cu. ft. All Refrigerator, Counter Depth for Seamless Finish
- 32" 19 cu. ft. All Freezer with Ice Maker
- PureAir Filtration keeps products tasting fresh
- 32" W x 26-1/2" D x 71-3/8" H Each Unit (25 1/4" cabinet depth)