There is no fancy technology to get your head around when it comes to microwave drawers. They are exactly that – a microwave in a drawer. This practical way of storing a microwave is a fantastic revolution, especially when it comes to kitchen organization. In our experience, we noticed that most people choose these products when they need a microwave in an island.
We get these following questions a lot. So, let's quickly address them:
Where do I install microwave drawers?
A microwave drawer sits under kitchen countertops like a regular drawer and can be installed flush or proud (i.e. protruding slightly from the cabinet) to your surrounding cabinets. They can fit in well with any design (in an island, peninsula or simply in a regular wall cabinet) and look stylish while making it easier to tend to your food. As there is no swinging door, there are no issues between right-handed or left-handed family members. You can also place a microwave drawer in a corner or next to a wall.
Using a microwave drawer is as easy as 1, 2, 3
1) Open the drawer up with a touch of a button when you are ready to use and place your food on the tray.
2) Close the drawer (with a light tap or using the close button) and choose your cooking time on the touch control panel.
3) When cooking time is complete, open the drawer and take out your food.
What sizes do they come in?
Across all brands, there are two sizes of microwave drawer available regarding the exterior width, but the interior measurements are the same.
Outside width: 24” or 30” are the main choices 24" being the most popular size.
Interior space: 17 5/16” W x 7 1/8” H x 16 9/16” D (1.2 cu. ft) - same for 24" or 30" models.
5 Reasons Why a Microwave Drawer is a Good Choice for Your Kitchen
1) They save you valuable kitchen space
The most important reason for installing a microwave drawer in your home is to be able to save valuable counter or cabinet space. A freestanding microwave can take up around 4 sq. ft of precious preparation space or can be hard to fit into existing cabinets. If you are putting in new cabinetry, then you can incorporate a microwave drawer into the design.
2) Easy to clean
Without a rotating plate inside, the inside surfaces are completely smooth so there are no nooks and crannies for food to get stuck in. This makes microwave drawers much easier to clean.
3) They blend with your kitchen
Microwave drawers can be installed standing proud or flush with your cabinetry and you can make better use of space by installing under your counter or in an island. There is also the option of stacking with a single oven or warming drawer, so all your cooking appliances are in the one place.
4) They are safer & easier to reach
Taking hot and heavy plates out of a microwave that is up high is an accident waiting to happen, but as a microwave drawer is lower, you will be able to see better and have more control.
5) Child proof
Microwave drawers have a child lock, so even though they are on the height level of your child they will not be able to tamper with it.
But wait... does a microwave drawer have the same features as a conventional microwave?
You’re not missing out on any important features by choosing a microwave drawer. You will still get:
- Numerous power levels
- Open/close door button
- Cooking/reheating sensor
- Defrost mode
- Beverage mode
- Melt/soften/keep warm modes
- Clock with time features
- Child lock
- Smooth glide for no liquid spills
Best Microwave Drawer Brands to Consider
With many big-name brands now providing microwave drawers as part of their kitchen appliance selections, it can be hard to know which one to choose. Some of our favourites are:
1) Sharp Microwave Drawer
As the pioneer of microwave drawers, Sharp supplies all the vital components that other manufacturers use in their appliances. With a larger range than any other brand comes more options to suit your needs.
- 1000 watts
- Visible or concealed display
- 45-degree angle control panel
- Stainless steel or black stainless options
- Auto touch open/close OR touch or wave open door function
- With or without handle
- Touch/wave model has concealed logo
- Sharp 24" KB6524PSY Microwave Drawer (Classic model with curved handle) price point ranges from $900-$999 based on promotional calendar
- Sharp 24" SMD2470ASY Stainless Steel Microwave Drawer with Hidden Controls, Flush Mount (Our Top Seller!) price point ranges from $999-$1,199 based on promotional calendar
- Sharp 24" SMD2470AH Black Stainless Microwave Drawer with Hidden Controls, Flush Mount (The only black stainless steel microwave on the market) price point ranges from $1,199-$1,299 based on promotional calendar
- Sharp 24" SMD2480CS Microwave Drawer with Wave-to-Open, Flush Mount] Top of the Line, model introduced in 2018. If your hands are full you will be able to open the door of this microwave with an up/down wave motion facing top left corner of this product. This is the only Sharp microwave drawer that comes with the flush installation kit. price point ranges from $1,299-$1,399 based on promotional calendar
PRO TIP - Make sure to contact our staff at (888) 714-4938 to inquire about unpublished savings on Sharp microwave drawers.
Here is an indepth look at Sharp Microwave Drawer:
2) Bosch Microwave Drawer
If you already have Bosch appliances in your kitchen, then the beautiful design of a Bosch microwave drawer will fit right in. When you purchase a suite of Bosch appliances from us you can receive a 10-15% rebate depending on the configuration.
- 950 watts
- 24” model flush with cabinet
- 30” model flush or proud installation
- Soft glide operation on touch of a button
- Convenient automatic sensor programs
- Elegant and modern LCD display
- 30” can be installed below a wall oven
- Automatic sensor technology
3) Thermador Microwave Drawer
Thermador have a great 1-2-Free rebate program where you can get a microwave drawer for free with a qualified package order.
- Covered by 2-year warranty
- 950 watts
- Glass touch controls
- 10 cooking modes
- Sensor cooking
- Blue LCD display
- 24” model is built-in, 30” model is fully flush
Important Product Update
Thermador made major design changes in their wall oven and microwave drawer line up as of September 2018. The new models now feature even better integration for flush mount installs both for 24" and the 30" drawers. The face plate of the microwaves match with rest of the Thermador offerings. Warranty remains the same at 2 years. Here are the new models numbers:
4) Wolf Microwave Drawer
A Wolf microwave drawer will match well with your existing Sub Zero/Wolf appliances and comes with an excellent warranty.
- 2-year full warranty and 5-year limited warranty for electronic control boards and magnetron tubes.
- 950 watts
- 10 power levels including Keep Warm mode
- Gourmet mode for detecting humidity and moisture
- Automatically adjusts cook time and power level for delicious results
- 24” MD24TES E Series - Transitional
- 30” MD30TES E Series - Transitional or MD30PE/S E Series - Professional
Contact us for best prices on our Wolf Models.
5) Worthwhile to Mention
Viking has been featuring a popular 1,000 Watt microwave drawer for the past few years VMOD5240SS and it comes with a full 2 year warranty and a 5 year limited warranty for magnetron tubes plus an amazing 90 day cosmetic warranty. Might be a good idea for Viking to give a facelift to the product to match the streamlined look of Sharp and other competitors.
Monogram Microwave Drawer ZWL1126SJSS has a great price point and complements the greater product line.
Before you go…
A microwave drawer is a great investment to streamline the overall design of your kitchen. While you will pay a bit more than a regular microwave, the ease of use and ergonomic benefits are worth it, and it will add value to your home should you decide to sell in the future.
With some manufacturers offering a free microwave drawer or a money back rebate when purchasing their appliance packages, it’s a great incentive to include one of these fantastic products in your kitchen plans.
At Designer Appliances we offer many models at different price points and our team are here to help should you have any questions. You can find all of our microwave drawer models in our online store and we happily deliver nationwide.
Are Microwave Drawers Worth It?
A typical microwave drawer costs approximately $999. A typical mid-range, highly rated built-in microwave such as the Frigidaire Professional FPMO227NUF costs $399 and it needs to be integrated with a trim kit which typically costs $149 for a total of $548. Considering you will not be able to install a built-in microwave under a counter or like a drawer in island the premium is less than $500. Also, keep in mind that some manufacturers offer savings towards microwave purchases in order to encourage kitchen appliance package sales.