I have been working in the appliance industry for about 10 years now and during that time I have selfishly been on the lookout for a single under counter refrigerator that I can use for both wine and beer, soda etc. I prefer to drink wine slightly below room temperature however I prefer beer, soda etc to be on the edge of freezing. Finally we have dual zone beverage center that can tackle this task.
Properly Storing and Serving Wine
In order to truly appreciate a wine it is highly recommended you serve it according to the following charts.
SPARKLING WINES AND SWEET WHITES
- 41°F (5°C) Asti Spumante
- 43°F (6°C) Non-vintage Champagne and Sparkling Wine, Crement, Cava
- 45°F (7°C) Sauternes, Eiswein, Sweet Vouvray, Rose, Tavel, White Zinfandel
- 46°F (8°C) Vintage Champagne and Sparkling Wine, German Table Wine, Muscats, New World Riesling and Gewurtztraminer
- 46°F (8°C) Loire Valley Whites, Alsace Riesling, Italian Whites
- 48°F (9°C) Sauvignon Blanc, Chablis, Chenin Blanc, Bordeaux Blanc
- 50°F (10°C) Chardonnay, Australian Semillon
- 52°F (11°C) White Burgundy, Viognier, Condrieu
- 54°F (12°C) Full-bodied Chardonnay and White Burgundy, Graves
LIGHT- TO MEDIUM-BODIED REDS
- 54°F (12°C) Beaujolais, Valpolicella
- 55°F (13°C) Ideal long-term storage temperature for all wines, Cotes du Rhone, Young Spanish and Portuguese Wines
- 57°F (14°C) Tawny Port, Barbera, Sanglovese, Madeira, Chinon, Amontillado Sherry
- 59°F (15°C) Chianti, Lighter Zinfandels
- 61°F (16°C) Young Bordeaux, Young Cabernet, Rioja, Pinot Noir, Merlot
- 63°F (17°C) Barolo, Chianti Reservas, Cabernet Sauvignon, Red Burgundy
- 64°F (18°C) Grand Cru Bordeaux, Shiraz, Mature California Cabernet, Mature Rhone and Zinfandel
- 66°F (19°C) Vintage Port
From this chart it is clear to see that a wine refrigerator needs to have a range of about 41° - 66°. For storing wine for a prolonged period of time experts recommend 55°. And most wine coolers are capable of hitting that range and close to it.
What about Beer?
I prefer beer to be ice cold. That translates to about 35°. While some micro brews and pale ales are best enjoyed a little bit warmer, I tend to ignore beering temperatures when it comes to beer.
Beverage Centers vs. Wine Coolers
The Solution - Marvel 24" Dual Zone Wine and Beverage Center (ML24WB)
See what other Designer Appliances readers are saying.