Most of us are overwhelmed by a myriad of choices when it comes to selecting a washer and dryer set. Add to the mix budgeting budget considerations, the shopping experience may take a few hours plus a visit to a store.
Just imagine, we at Designer Appliances represent 17 different brands, our catalog shows about 500 different washer and dryers (approximately some 200 washers and 300 dryers). Performance of these products differ wildly when it comes to cleaning power, water usage, energy efficiency, capacity, noise, and vibration. Many of these parameters are not even reported by the manufacturers. Moreover, marketing jargon can make the selection process puzzling.
At Designer Appliances, our mission is to help you find the best washer and dryer set to fit your needs and you budget. Below you will find our assessment for 2019.
Best Washer and Dryer Sets of 2019 - OVERVIEW
|LG Washer and Dryer WM9000HVA||Mega Capacity, excellent cleaning ability, energy, and water efficient, vibration and noise suppression technology, Wi-Fi/smartphone integration Under $1,249|
|Samsung FlexWash and FlexDry WV60M9900AV||You can do 4 loads of laundry at the simultaneously, Amazing Flexibility, Large Capacity Under $1,449|
|Electrolux Washer and Dryer EFLS627UTT||Reliable, Excellent Cleaning and Stain Removal Ability, Quiet even on Upper Floors Under $1,099|
|Speed Queen Best Top Load TR3000WN||Absolutely the best Top Load Washer in the market. Fill up with water and let the agitator do its job. No frills. Under $919|
|Bosch Compact Washer and Dryer WAT28402UC||The 800 Series is the flagship of Bosch. This stackable washer pairs with the ventless electric condenser dryer. 15 min fast program, ability to sanitize with hot water. Under $1,299|
What are the different types of washers (with their matching dryers)?
Front Load Washers [High Efficiency (HE)]: Front-load washers clean better than the top-loaders. Wash times are longer, and they are far more gentle on the clothes. Meanwhile, front-load washers use less water and spin at higher speeds. High RPM spin speed, in turn, extracts more water from your laundry and cuts down on drying duration (energy savings at the dryer which we call the SUV of home appliances). Front load washers and dryers are generally stackable. You can place them on storage pedestals or use them side by side.
Top Load Washers with an Old-Style Agitator: These washers are relics of the olden days and cost less than their HE cousins. The wash cycle in these machines are substantially faster, but they are a water hog.
Top Load Washers without Agitator (a.k.a. HE): HE rated top load washers are generally have a larger capacity than that of their agitator versions. They also use less water and spin faster for better drying performance.
- Apartment Size, Compact Washer and Dryers: This set of laundry is 24" slim so you can place them in a closet or if you live in a single-family home enjoy the convenience of the second set of laundry. These washers generally pair with ventless dryers. Dryers that feature Heat-Pump system are at the pinnacle of technology and not only save energy but dry clothes faster compared to condensing dryers.
Top 6 Recommended Brands/Models within All Washer and Dryer Categories
(1) Best LG Washer and Dryers
- LG WM9000HVA costs approximately $1,100 during promotional seasons. Excellent cleaning ability, energy, and water efficient, it has vibration and noise suppression technology from LG. Also, WM9000HVA incorporates all the latest wi-fi/smartphone integration.
Please note that this washer is a gentle giant with 29" width and 5.2 cu. ft. extra large capacity (king size sheets and comforters are not a problem). The downside is you cannot stack it.
Another nice feature is that you can pair this washer with either a regular storage pedestal or a WD200CV "sidekick twinwash" pedestal which acts as a small washer to multiply your capacity.
Graphite steel color is trendy, and it helps showcase the laundry setting in your home. Due to the recent "tariffs" debacle, LG opted to focus on this color rather than using their quota on "white" color version of this product (more delicate way of saying don't purchase white unless you can wait to receive it by next year).
- If you love LG but 29" laundry is too big for you, you may want to consider the 27" washer WM3500CW with 4.5 cu. ft. capacity. This unit goes for approximately $750 during seasonal promotions. It pairs with electric or gas dryers. This set does not feature steam. Consider WM3700HWA for the steam feature, still at 27" - priced approximately at $850.
(2) Best Samsung Washer and Dryers
- A truly innovative product the Samsung FlexWash WV60M9900AV. A truly innovative product the Samsung FlexWash WV60M9900AV. FlexWash incorporates 2 washers in one body. The dryer pair, you guessed right, is called FlexDry and has 2 dryers under one roof. Approximately at $1,300 this Samsung has the latest "smart" features, connects to Alexa and Google Home. Let's you run two loads independently, and the "Super Speed" feature wraps up washing in 30 minutes without sacrificing cleaning.
At 27" width, this washer has an impressive 6.0 cu. ft. capacity. Keeping your front-load washer clean can be challenging. Self-Clean+ feature keeps the drum fresh and odor-free without using harsh chemicals.
- Consider Samsung's WF45K6500AW for a conventional 27" 4.5 cu. ft. stackable front-load washer. This washer features steam so you can remove stains without pre-treatment.
- WF42H5000AW is the "doorbuster" model that Samsung is pushing this holiday season at $599. Smaller in terms of interior space at 4.2 cu. ft., does not have the fastest spin speed or the steam action but if you are merely searching for a reliable no-frills laundry solution, you are safe to consider this model.
(3) Best Electrolux Washer and Dryers
- Regarding stain removal Electrolux gets the job done better than any other brand. EFLS627UTT is the flagship product. EFLS627UTT is stackable and comes with a large interior space. Its 15-minute express wash option is impressive and designed to handle lightly soiled clothes when you are in a rush. Price point after rebates is approximately $899 this holiday season.
For more on Electrolux washers and dryers visit our in-depth review.
This holiday season Electrolux offers washers that start and $649. As you go up in price for Electrolux washer and dryer you end up picking up features such as steam, faster spin speeds, express wash options, and more stain treatment.
(4) Recommended Top Loaders with Agitator
SpeedQueen has been the favorite of many families due to its reputation for dependability. It is the only American manufacturer that still makes (not just assembles parts) appliances in the US. If you want a no-frills machine that fills up the tub and cleans your laundry consider the Speed Queen TR3 a.k.a. TR3000WN.
We covered Speed Queen top load washers earlier this year in depth.
(5) Recommended High Efficiency (HE) Top Loaders
Concerning High Efficiency (HE) Top Load laundry, LG is the market leader both in terms of technology as well as the breadth of products. In this category, the following products shine due to their price vs. performance. The LG WT7200CW and its sibling WT7200CV in Graphite have a large interior at 5.0 cu. ft.. The spin speed which equates to energy and dry time savings is fastest for a top-load washer at 950 RPM. Price points with rebates will start at approximately $750 for this washer.
Although WT7200 model gets a ton of press, we noticed a great deal on LG WT7600HWA this holiday season. You can get the WT7600 at the same or lower price point compared to WT7200 and load up with features such as steam, an effective internal heater and larger capacity at 5.2 cu. ft.
- Samsung which owns approximately 20% of the US appliance market also has a decent solution with WA54M8750AV. Handsome in Black Stainless Steel comes with a built-in sink for your convenience. As usual with the Samsung pedigree, you will get a nifty wi-fi enabled app to manage your laundry affairs.
(6) Recommended Apartment Size, Compact Washers and Dryers
When it comes to space-saving appliances, there are more options than ever. Before choosing the best unit for your home, check out our post on compact washer and dryers to get some insight on how to choose.
Miele and Bosch make the best apartment size, compact washers an dryers. Miele recently edged up in this category by embracing energy efficient and fast heat pump technology.
- Miele W1 WWH860WCS is the flagship luxury model. It pairs with the only 110/120V ventless, heat-pump dryer in the market dubbed as the T1 dryer with model numbers TWi180WP and TWF160WP. W1 and T1 are stackable and can be placed in a small laundry closet. We wrote extensively on Miele washer and dryer earlier this year.
- The 800 series is the way to go for Bosch. WAT28402UC heats up water to 170F for a sanitized clean. It has been in the market for over 5 years and gets glowing reviews from our customers. It is stackable with the condensing, 220V dryer pair. Its shallow depth makes it attractive for urban customer. You can find more on Bosch washer and dryers in our in-depth review.
- Other brands to consider in this category are the Blomberg WM98400SX2, Samsung WW22N6850QX with it stackable Vented Dryer, LG WM1388HW or cost-effective Electrolux EFLS210TIS.
How to Avoid Pitfalls When Selecting a New Washer and Dryer?
- The number one mistake people make when purchasing a new washer and dryer is miscalculating the size and space. Before narrowing down your choice, it's imperative that you measure your access to your laundry room, as well as the area intended for the washer and dryer. Unfortunately, the fact that you have an existing washer and dryer does not mean that you are covered as the new machines tend to be wider, deeper and taller than their previous incarnations.
- As a general rule of thumb 27" width is considered regular size,
29" width is extra large. Apartment size compact laundry is 24" wide. However, the depth of these machines is wildly different from manufacturer to manufacturer.
- Know your fuel type. Yes, all dryers need electricity to function, but all dryers need a fuel source heat up. Please make sure that you scope out your setting before making the purchase to determine whether it requires an Electric 208/240V 4 prong giant outlet or gas connection.
- Parts - When changing a washer it is a good idea to upgrade your old hoses with the stainless steel braided hoses. In terms of the dryer, you will need a new electric cord (if an electric dryer is selected) as well as a new vent kit for vented dryers. As for the gas dryers, by code, you will need to use a new gas flex hose.
With so many choices on the market, we're here to help simplify the buying process with tips and insight on the latest washers, dryers and beyond. With this insight, you’re better armed with information to make educated decisions for your investments and well on your way to being an appliance aficionado.