Bosch arguably makes the best dishwashers in the world. The best Bosch dishwasher is quiet and energy-efficient. In this article, we'll review the features we like and why certain features make Bosch dishwashers a top-of-the-line choice for most households. Unlike its competitors, Bosch offers different dishwasher product lines to address the unique needs of its customers. While achieving this, Bosch doesn't compromise its legendary German quality standards.
As much as most people were fond of Bosch's superior cleaning ability, some have complained in the past about its drying performance. Bosch listened to the feedback and released two new and innovative technologies. Bosch dishwashers with AutoAir Dry and CrystalDry are now considered the best drying dishwashers in the industry. AutoAir Dry models will open the door and leave it ajar when the clean cycle is over. This will let fresh air in and enhance drying. The revolutionary CrystalDry is even more impressive. CrystalDry takes the internal temperature to 176F (a whopping 14F increase over the previous ExtraDry feature and all without additional energy consumption).
After testing the new Bosch dishwashers and conducting surveys among our customers, we decided to update our rankings. You'll notice that our most recommended products now include models with these enhanced drying programs.
Many of our customers ask us what distinguishes one Bosch model from the others. Below, we explain in plain English (hopefully without industry jargon) how you can select which model might be best suited for your needs.
What are the differences between Bosch Dishwasher Series 100 vs 300 vs 500 vs 800?
|Bosch 100 Series:||Formerly known as the Ascenta series. Cost effective, tub has a plastic bottom, 48-50 dB, standard 3rd rack and Infolight that projects to the floor for towel bar handle models. from $534|
|Bosch 300 Series:||All stainless steel tub, water softener on select models, easy adjustment racks (Rackmatic), ADA compliant models, 18" compact models, 44 dB quiet, Leak Protection System from $759|
|Bosch 500 Series:||Recessed handle design an innovative Bosch design, 44 dB, Easy Glide Upper Rack, AutoAir Dry on select models from $849|
|Bosch 800 Series:||This is where the real Bosch quality becomes obvious, responsive controls, 39-42 dB silence rating, more flexible interior, MyWay Rack on select models, ADA compliant models, 18-inch selection, HomeConnect Wifi, CrystalDry in select models from $849|
|Bosch Benchmark:||Absolutely luxurious with all gliding racks, water softener, fully flexible interior, extra shallow depth models for European cabinet flush installation, CrystalDry in select models from $1,199|
Bosch Dishwasher Design Styles
Bosch dishwashers come in 5 primary design styles across all series:
- Recessed Handle: Visible control panel with a reach-in handle.
- Pocket Handle: Control panel hidden from view, on the top with a reach-in handle. Most popular Bosch dishwasher design.
- Bar Handle: Controls are hidden, towel-bar style handle.
- Scoop Handle: Hidden controls with a small and elegant reach-in handle.
- Custom Panel: Controls are hidden, door can accept custom cabinet panels to match surrounding kitchen décor.
Bosch dishwashers are extremely quiet— so much so that they beam a light onto the floor to indicate operation. Bosch calls this feature the infolight or the time light based on the series. Infolight is standard on all Bosch dishwashers with hidden controls. Time light is reserved for luxury models and its beam includes time remaining "light stamp".
6 Best Bosch Dishwashers for 2020
Bosch dishwashers are the only brand with multiple prominent spots on our coveted best dishwashers ranking in 2020. Here are the 6 models we selected to give you a good starting point in your research.
1) Best Budget: Bosch SHX84AYD5N 100 Series
100 Series 24-inch Dishwasher, 3rd Rack, 48 dB
Why We Like It:
- Ideal when you are on a tight budget.
- Silent at 48 dB. Great performance for its price range (please note the quietness rating is better with 100 series compared to the old Ascenta series).
- Decent drying performance (make sure to use rinse aid and load your machine correctly).
- We are not a fan of the plastic bottom.
The SHX84AYD5N belongs to the entry level Bosch 100 Series product family (formerly known as the Ascenta line). It is, however, the go-to model in this series due to its quietness/price ratio. Including Bosch's seasonal rebates, you can get this relatively quiet product for $600-$625.
- Variety of finishes (stainless steel, white, black, units that accept cabinet panels, towel bar handle models, etc.)
- Quiet at 48 dB sound level
- Comes with stainless steel interior walls but with a plastic bottom
- Standard 5 wash cycles
- Spacious with 14 place settings
- Standard 3rd Rack
- InfoLight projects to the floor in most models
The DLX version of the 100 Series Bosch dishwashers adds the ever-important extra scrub program for heavy-duty cleaning (such as crusted food on pots and pans).
Please note that the popular Bosch Ascenta dishwasher SHX3AR75UC has been discontinued and replaced by the 100 Series SHX84AYD5N. The new Bosch 100 Series dishwasher is quieter than the Ascenta at 48 dB and comes with an extra scrub cycle for pots and pans. We felt the need to remark about this model as many review sites still list it erroneously as a current model.
2) Best Value: Bosch SHEM63W55N 300 Series
300 Series 24-inch Dishwasher, 44 dB, 3rd Rack
Why We Like It:
- You will enjoy an all stainless steel interior.
- Very quiet at 44 dB.
- Still at an affordable price point.
- Lacks the sure-fire drying features of the 500 and 800 series Bosch dishwashers.
The SHEM63W55N is the most popular Bosch dishwasher under $750. Its price floats around $699 including the manufacturer rebate.
With prices starting at over $689, Bosch 300 series dishwashers make up for most of the shortcomings of the 100 series. These models offer everything found in the budget model above, plus these features:
- Full stainless steel interior
- Much quieter at 44 dB
- Speed60 Cycle ensures all dishes are cleaned up under an hour
- ExtraDry option is a new addition to the feature list to give a heat boost to the condensating dry cycle (At this time 300 series Bosch dishwashers do not have AutoAir Dry or CrystalDry)
- 3rd Rack is more flexible to accommodate larger items
- Overall the interior is more flexible by having the ability to adjust the tines and RackMatic, making it easier to make room for larger plates and pots or taller glasses
- Larger interior capacity with room for 16 place settings
- Bosch 300 series comes with a variety of design choices as well as models suited for special applications such as ADA height models for raised floors, water softener and slim, 18-inch dishwashers for smaller kitchens.
If you like the feature set of the Bosch 300 series SHEM63W55N but need a 18-inch wide model for a small kitchen or a bar, you might consider Bosch dishwasher SPE53U55UC. This model is versatile with ADA-compliant height and color options from stainles steel to white and black.
3) Best Price vs Performance: Bosch SHP865ZD5N 500 Series AutoAir
500 Series 24-inch Dishwasher, 44 dB, Flex 3rd Rack, InfoLight
Why We Like It:
- Quietness and unique design style that blends with other appliances
- Auto Air Dry opens the door and leaves it ajar once the program is done, preventing a musty smell
- Replaced our former favorites, the amazingly-reviewed SHP865WD5N and SHPM65W55N models, due to its drying performance (with only a $50 difference in pricing).
The Bosch 500 Series SHP865ZD5N dishwasher is a true hit for Bosch. It features the timeless pocket handle design which fits any kitchen environment. After seasonal rebates, you will be able to purchase this model series for approximately $799-849.
- Bosch added EasyGlide racks as the premium feature to the 500 Series. You will appreciate the ease of EasyGlide when pulling in/out the fully-loaded upper rack.
- The DLX version of the 500 series packs a critical feature - the extra-scrub program for pots and pans.
Now, with the addition of the door that opens after the cycle is over (i.e., AutoAir Dry) this dishwasher will insure you get the best drying job.
More on Bosch 500 Series Dishwashers:
500 Series used to be the home of the pocket handle model only. As of 2020, Bosch features a bar handle in the 500 Series lineup.
4) Best Overall: Bosch SHX878ZD5N 800 Series CrystalDry
24" Dishwasher, 42 dB, Flex 3rd Rack, InfoLight, Wifi
Why We Like It:
- The 800 Series is what Bosch is really known for— Quality, Finish, and Features.
- Replaces our all-time favorite models SHXM78W55N and SHPM78W55N due to its exclusive CrystalDry feature.
- If you are looking for the best drying job, definitely consider the 800 Series Bosch dishwasher with CrystalDry.
The 800 Series dishwashers are the flagship design for Bosch. SHX878ZD5N stands out in this series as the new popular choice among our customers.
- Supremely quiet at 42 db.
- EasyGlide racks.
- Controls are touch-sensitive and luxurious.
- 6 Cycles are the standard on the 800 Series.
- CrystalDry is an amazing feature that literally gets "bone-dry" dishes similar to the performance we see in dishwashers with a heating element. A major benefit of CrystalDry is that it will not melt your plastics.
More on Bosch 800 Series Dishwashers:
Some notable Bosch dishwashers in the 800 series lineup feature the MyWay Rack. This special 3rd rack application is ideal for ramekins, cereal bowls, measuring cups, ladles, and more. You can even find a removable silverware tray with folding tines in this innovative 3rd rack.
In addition, you can find amazingly quiet dishwashers in the 800 series at 39 dBs.
HomeConnect feature gets you Internet connectivity. HomeConnect allows you the convenience of programming your dishwashing cycles from your phone.
Similar to the 300 Series, the Bosch 800 Series dishwashers come with a variety of design choices, as well as models suited for special applications such as ADA height for raised floors. This series also includes models with panel-ready fronts which will allow you to customize using your cabinet finish on the dishwasher, water softener, and 18-inch slim dishwashers for smaller kitchens.
Please note that many review sites still talk about an old popular Bosch 800 series dishwasher SHXM98W75N which has been discontinued and replaced by SHXM88Z75N. This new model now has CrystalDry as an upgrade and is still ultra-quiet at 40 dB and carries a MyWay rack.
5) Best Panel Ready: Bosch SHV88PZ63N Benchmark Series
Benchmark Series Dishwasher, 40 dB, Water Softener, Interior Light, MyWay Rack, Wifi
Why We Like It:
- Feature-Rich and the Quietest Dishwasher at 40 dB.
- Panel-ready design lets you customize its look.
- Wifi-enabled HomeConnect app is great for those who enjoy new technology.
- Water softener gives you spotless results and adds to the life of the dishwasher. Great for New Jersey where we have hard water.
- MyWay rack can pack more than silverware.
- Dimming interior lights add a touch of elegance. Especially impressive at night.
Bosch Benchmark series are ideal for those who are seeking the quietest dishwasher with absolutely the best cleaning performance. As an example the Bosch Benchmark SHE89PW75N and SHX89PW75N are the quietest Bosch dishwashers on the market at 38 dB rating.
Bosch Benchmark series dishwashers also offer the best cleaning performance. We also like their convenience features such as the interior lights and easy gliding racks.
The SHV88PZ63N stands out as a shallow depth dishwasher with customer panel-ready finish so you can integrate it with your cabinets.
6) Best ADA Dishwasher: Bosch SGX68U55UC 800 Series
Quietness: 44 dB | Interior: Stainless Steel | 3rd Rack: Yes | Place Settings: 15
Bosch is the most prominent out of the handful of manufacturers that make ADA dishwashers. These special application dishwashers are designed for kitchens that have raised floors or non-standard counter heights.
This 800 Series dishwasher comes with all the key features found on the rest of the lineup. However, Bosch did not outfit the special application dishwashers with the new AutoAir and CrystalDry options.
However, the SGX68U55UC still comes with an all stainless-steel tub and an ultra-quiet 44 dB noise level. Infolight will still beam to the floor and you will enjoy the convenience of its 3rd rack for silverware.
The most important and unique advantage of the Bosch SGX68U55UC is its water softener. This feature ensures that you will never see those ugly hardwater spots on your dishes again. Bosch went out of its way to incorporate this important feature at a very reasonable price point in this dishwasher.
Bosch offers different dishwasher styles and a rich feature set to fit any budget. While the 100 and 300 Series dishwashers are ideal for those who are budget conscious, the 500 Series and especially the Bosch 800 Series dishwashers will give you a high-quality clean and a number of design choices. Also, Bosch has many options for special applications such as shorter height units, water softener for hard water areas, and 18-inch slim products. At Designer Appliances we keep close track of changes and updates to the Bosch dishwasher product catalog.
8 Improvements on Bosch Dishwashers:
- CrystalDry for best drying performance. Reserved for 800 series and Benchmark dishwashers.
- AutoAir Dry opens the door and leaves it ajar to enhance drying. Found on 500 series.
- Bosch transformed the 3rd rack for silverware to accommodate larger items such as ramekins. Bosch calls this the MyWay Rack, and it’s found on select models.
- Flexible 3rd rack on Bosch 300 series and up.
- Major sound-insulating improvements.
- Smooth gliding racks with ball-bearing wheels to make loading and unloading incredibly easy— a.k.a. “EasyGlide Racks”.
- Internet connectivity on models with HomeConnect.
- Speed60 express wash in under 60 minutes is now standard on almost all Bosch dishwashers.
Does Bosch make other appliances?
Yes, Bosch manufactures a full set of home appliances. We typically specify Bosch appliances to those customers who target modern features, reliable performance, and timeless look without spending a fortune.
Bosch refrigerators and washer dryers consistently get great reviews. We also feature their wall ovens as a highly rated appliance. You can see our in-depth write-ups on these products on the links we provided above.
Bosch is part of the BSH group, which owns the Thermador brand known for its residential luxury pro-cooking products.
Which Bosch dishwashers dry the best?
Bosch dishwashers with CrystalDry have the best drying performance in the industry. CrystalDry even outperforms dishwashers with heating elements, and it won't melt your plastics. Bosch offers CrystalDry in its 800 Series and Benchmark dishwashers.
AutoAir dry is another technology that Bosch employs in its 500 Series dishwasher. We like this feature because it opens the dishwasher door and leaves it ajar after the cycle is over to let the fresh air in, so if you usually do your dishes at night, you will be guaranteed a fresh batch of dishes in the morning.
Lower-tier Bosch dishwashers, including the 100 and 300 series, come with the "Extra Dry" cycle. This cycle uses slightly higher-temperature water in the final rinse to boost condensation-drying action.
What is the difference between the Bosch 300 and 500 Series dishwashers?
Bosch 300 series dishwashers are quiet at 44 dB— so much so that Bosch projects a discreet red light beam on the floor to let you know it is operational. The 300 series is where Bosch starts offering an all-stainless steel interior and a flexible 3rd rack. You will find multiple design types within the 300 series to match your style.
The Bosch 500 series has the same quietness rating as the 300 series. However, the interior is upgraded with more flexible tines and a gliding upper rack for easy loading and unloading. The most important upgrade on the Bosch 500 series is the recessed handle design. This makes the 500 series a natural replacement for your old dishwasher as it fits in any kitchen.
We must also note that the Bosch 300 series is where the company houses its special application dishwashers such as the slim 18-inch products and ADA-compliant units. Bosch's panel-ready dishwasher selection also starts at this model series.
Does Bosch make Black Stainless Steel color dishwashers?
Yes, Bosch makes black stainless steel dishwashers to match your kitchen design. This modern finish is both finger print resistant and durable againsts scratches.
Where are Bosch dishwashers made?
Although Bosch is a German company, it makes almost all of its dishwasher products in North Carolina. Only a few models within the Benchmark Series are made in Germamy.
I have a small kitchen. Does Bosch make 18-inch dishwashers?
Bosch makes 18-inch dishwashers within its 300 and 800 series. These dishwashers are fully-featured and extremely quiet at 44 dbA. Most models have built-in water softeners and are ADA-compliant.
What is a panel-ready dishwasher? Does Bosch make panel-ready dishwashers?
A panel-ready dishwasher allows you to customize the door to match your cabinets. Bosch has a great selection of fully-featured panel-ready dishwashers.
How does the Bosch dishwasher model number structure work?
Bosch dishwashers follow a logical model number structure. Here is an example. Let's break it down for Bosch dishwasher SHXM65Z55N: S- stands for dishwasher. H- means 24-inch width tall tub product. X- denotes handle type, in this case the bar handle. M- exclusive upgraded line or mainline product. 6- decibel rating 44-45db quietness. 5- series in this case 500 series. Z- intro year, in this case 2019. 5-version control. 5- color, in this case stainless steel. N- North America.
See what other Designer Appliances readers are saying.