Many people are familiar with the Bosch brand of high-quality washer and dryer sets. In fact, Bosch offers some of the most popular compact laundry available on the market. Their small footprint and the fact that they don’t require ventilation allows you to easily stack them in most closets or even place them side-by-side under a standard countertop. These units also plug into each other, requiring only a single 240 or 208-volt outlet. However, one common question customers have is just what distinguishes one Bosch model from the other?
This is an extremely common point of confusion, especially because Bosch product descriptions often use lingo and terminology geared toward industry insiders, not average users. So, below you’ll find a simple, straightforward guide to helping identify the key differences in Bosch products so you can select the perfect one for your needs.
Note: Because the key differences appear in the washing machines, they are the area of focus below.
The Good Option: The Bosch 300 Series
This is a serviceable, dependable Bosch series that offers an impressive range of features and specs.
- Up to 15.4 pounds of wash weight (approx. 16 bath towels)
- Sanitize cycle heats linens to 145 degrees Fahrenheit
- Anti-vibration circular sidewalls reduce vibration up to 30%
- 1400 RPM spin speed to extract most excess moisture
- 15 Wash Cycles: Permanent Press, Permanent Press-Heavy Soil, Permanent Press-Light Soil, Delicates, Quick 30-min., Rinse/Spin , Hand Wash/Wool, Drain, Cotton-Normal, Cotton-Light Soil, Towels, Allergens, Jeans, Heavy Duty, and Drum Clean
- Quiet for Laundry at 54-73 dBA noise range.
The Bosch 300 Series Stackable Washer and Dryer WAT28400UC & WTG86400UC (Washer left hinge door, NOT Field Reversible, Dryer right hinge door, Field Reversible)
The Better Option: The Bosch 500 Series
This impressive step up from the 300 series offers everything found in the list above, plus these premium features:
- Up to 17.6 pounds of wash weight (approx. 18 bath towels). More efficient drum design in the same footprint as the 300 series.
- True sanitize cycle heats water to 170 Fahrenheit to kill all bacteria. (This is a key feature for users concerned with germs and bacteria. Also people with a ton of gym attire consider it as a key feature.)
- 14% more load capacity in the same footprint as 300 series
- AquaShield Leak Protection uses a special double-walled feed hose and safety valve to provide protection against water damage
- Silver design accents
- Ultra Quiet for Laundry at 52-72 dBA noise range
The Bosch 500 Series Stackable Washer and Dryer WAT28401UC & WTG86401UC (Washer left hinge door, NOT Field Reversible, Dryer right hinge door, Field Reversible)
The Best Option: The Bosch 800 Series
The flagship Bosch washer-dryer set, this series boasts all of the features offered by the two previous sets plus an impressive list of additional or enhanced features:
- Interior LED light to help find that one lost sock at the back of the machine
- AquaStop Plus Leak Protection, which includes the double-walled feed hose and safety switch from the 500 series plus a drip pan with float switch that makes leaks nearly impossible. This is a vitally important feature in multi-story buildings where leaks can become a nightmare scenario.
- 15-minute Fast Cycle gets handy when you are in a rush
- Chrome design accents
- Most Quiet for Laundry at 50-71 dBA noise range
The Bosch 800 Series Stackable Washer and Dryer WAT28402UC & WTG86402UC (Washer left hinge door, NOT Field Reversible, Dryer right hinge door, Field Reversible)
The Better-Than-the-Best Option: Bosch 800 Series with Home Connect
While technically an extension of the 800 series, this impressive series offers enough unique features to belong in a class all its own.
- Home Connect allows you to manage your laundry from your cell phone or table. For anyone that loves the idea of a connected home, this feature lets you monitor and control your Bosch appliances from anywhere in your home or even while away.
- EcoPerfect Cycle, which significantly reduces energy consumption
- Illuminated selection dial
The Bosch 800 Series with Home Connect Stackable Washer and Dryer WAW285H2UC & WTG865H2UC (Washer left hinge door, NOT Field Reversible, Dryer right hinge door, Field Reversible)
Deciding which Bosch unit is best for you is a matter of understanding your own personal needs and preferences. If you have small children and are worried about the risks of bacteria, opting for at least the 500 series will allow you to rest easy thanks to the True Sanitize cycle it offers. If you live in a high-rise or urban area with other rooms and tenants below you, the 800 series will protect you from the disaster of a massive leak, thanks to the innovative AquaStop Plus feature.
Overall, Bosch is a respected and highly sought-after brand for a reason— they produce high-quality units at a competitive price, and that’s why we at Designer Appliances proudly support their products.