The Speed Queen washer sure had its fair share of problems in its rich history. The company faced serious customer backlash with the problematic 2017 release of its new products. It took Speed Queen washers 2 years to go back to the traditional agitator top load design and to regain their mojo.
Since 1908, Speed Queen has been producing some of the most dependable and high-quality washers and dryers in the world. What sets Speed Queen apart from their competitors is their unwavering focus on the traits that truly make washing machines great, not unnecessary or flashy features that ultimately result in service calls.
Let's review what Speed Queen washer brings to the table:
5 Reasons to Choose the Speed Queen Washer
Before you dive in it's important to understand what makes a Speed Queen washer a worthwhile investment. We must also note that this year the brand climbed up to our coveted best washer and dryer set list with the TC5 / AWN632sp116tw01 (with traditional agitator) release.
1. Build quality - Speed Queen washers are built to last with heavy duty components and minimal electronics making them easy to repair for years of continued use.
2. Heavy duty wash performance - Speed Queen is know for their heavy duty drive motors, give you the power and balance to clean heavy loads (work clothes, towels, blankets etc.)
3. Best warranty - Since Speed Queen builds their products to last, they are able to offer an industry best 3 year warranty on their entry level models, all the way up to a 7 year warranty on their high end pair.
4. Faster wash cycles - You can wash an entire load of laundry in 30-40 minutes using a speed queen vs. close to an hour with competitors.
5. Made in the USA - Since 1908, Speed Queen washers and dryers have been manufacturered in Ripton Wisconsin.
Top Speed Queen Washer Models
Why We Like It:
Most of us consider laundry a chore and want to get it over with as soon as possible. Therefore, unlike our other devices such as our beloved smartphone, we prefer not to spend a ton of time learning about our washer and dryer. To be fair, appliance manufacturers do not make it easy for us either. Their jargon such as "inverter direct drive motor" or "active water jet" does not mean much to us. To be honest, I don't think my family knows what "perm press" means on the various washers we've used over the past few decades. We simply want to load our clothes, add the detergent, and hit go.
The new Speed Queen washer TC5003WN which is also known as AWN63RSN116TW01 is a no-frills product. It offers 6 simple cycles, 4 temperature selections with options written in plain English "Extra Rinse", "Heavy Soil" or "Pre-Soak".
The traditional full-length agitator in this top load washer drives an aggressive wash action on a tub that you can deep-fill with water right up to the brim. Oh, don't worry about that stray sock, you can open the lid anytime to add to your wash.
Speed is the key feature for TC5 Speed Queen washer. In this washing machine, your laundry cycle clocks in at under 28 minutes.
Many people ask us about the old mechanical controls on Speed Queens. While the tactile knobs still remain, the board underneath them is electronic. We noticed comments in some review sites with regards to the outstanding reliability of ancient mechnanical controls, however, according to Speed Queen engineering the mechanical controls were one of the chief problem areas in the legacy products.
- Durable traditional, commercial grade clean (710 RPM motor)
- 6 Cycles - Normal, Perm Press, Heavy Duty, Bulky/Sheets, Spin, Delicates
- 4 Wash Temperatures - Cold, Cool, Warm, Hot
- Options - Extra Rinse, Pre-Soak, Heavy Soil
- Ability to use a full tub of water with "Deep-Fill"
- Width: 25 5/8 Inch | Depth: 28 Inch | Height: 42 3/4 Inch | Capacity: 3.2 Cu. Ft.
- Pairs with a gas or electric dryer with automatic moisture sensor
How Does The New TC5 Differ from The Previous Models
In the table below you will find the new TC5 vs the TR5 (which was not a customer favorite).
All in all, the old TR5 was Speed Queen's attempt to care for different fabric types by "moving water through the clothes with specialized drum moves" vs the traditional TC5 which uses the power of the agitator to "move clothes through the water" for a classic wash.
Speed Queen TC5 (TC5000WN) vs TR5 (TR5000WN)
|3.2 cu. ft.||3.2 cu. ft.|
|Commercial Grade Wash||Commercial Grade Wash|
|710 RPM Spin||820 RPM Spin|
|1/2 HP 2 Speed Transmission (i.e. Just 2 Direction Move, Forward and Reverse)||1 HP Variable Speed Inverter|
|Designed to create wash action through the traditional agitator||Wash action through drum moves|
|6 Cyles, 4 Temp.||6 Cyles, 4 Temp.|
|Deep Fill||Deep Fill and Auto Fill|
|Extra Rinse, Pre-Soak||Extra Rinse|
|Fast Cycle under 28 min||50 minutes|
|Stainless Steel Tub||Stainless Steel Tub|
|3-Years Warranty||5-Years Warranty|
In the interest of complying with energy and water use regulations, Speed Queen refreshed its lineup in 2017. The Speed Queen washer TR3003WN is the entry-level model in this new series which features an inverter motor (i.e. gentler wash compared to traditional agitators). The TR3003WN replaced the old Speed Queen washer model AWN432S.
The TR3003WN offers high-quality and commercial-level wash performance. However, if you are a fan of the old school Speed Queen washer the TR3000WN is not for you. You are going to miss the no-frills, full tub of water, agitator wash. Just stick to TC5000WN (a.k.a. TC5) which we reviewed above.
The Speed Queen washer TR3003WN shares the same technology as its siblings TR5003WN and TR7003WN (a.k.a. TR5 & TR7). Therefore, our review will cover all models.
TR3, TR5, and TR7 provide premium fabric care that will help your clothes last longer and remain in tip-top shape. The auto-fill system is designed to comply with regulations to ensure that each and every load uses exactly the amount of water required for each wash, no more and no less. Meanwhile, the tub and agitator work in tandem to create a gentle yet effective wash action to move the maximum amount of cleansing water through your clothes.
It's important to address a general misconception about autofill. In order to not disappoint its die-heart fans, Speed Queen left the full "Tub Wash and Rinse" system intact. Rest assured, you can fill the entire tub with water to achieve a soak and a maximum clean during wash or rinse. This is in fact the most important reason why people choose Speed Queen over other brands that feature giant drum sizes yet fail to mention that their tub is not filling up entirely for full water action.
As for the Speed Queen dryer, "Axiar Airflow" drying patterns and advanced moisture sensing technology help prevent excessive drying and saves you time.
|TR3||26-inch width, 3.2 cu. ft., 3 year warranty, 4 Wash Cycles, Heavy Duty Suspension, Stainless Steel Tub, Auto-fill Option|
|TR5||all of TR3's features plus 5 year warranty, 6 Cycles|
|TR7||all of TR3's features plus 7 year warranty, 8 Cycles, Electronic Touch Controls|
So, what else is their lineup packing under the hood? Let’s take a look at some of the most impressive advancements and additions.
- New look and updated control design. Both the knob control mechanics and the touchpad controls have been tested with more than 1 million depressions, ensuring they’ll be responsive for decades to come.
TR3 Mechnanical Contols Featured Below
Please note that you have Small, Medium, Large (full tub fill), as well as autofill in terms of amount of water used for load size. Extra rinse on/off switch also adjust amount of water use during rinse (on for full tub water, off for auto spray).
TR5 Mechnanical Contols Featured Below
Please note the TR5 Controls add "Cool" as temperature selection option, also "Handwash" is added to the cycles in comparison to the TR3 model.*
TR7 Electronic Touchpad Featured Below
The Speed Queen TR7 washing machine received a significant update early 2019 in response to reported problems on the normal (eco) cycle. Customers reported that although the normal cycle ran fast in about 40 minutes, the cleaning performace was lackluster at best. Speed Queen changed the wash action program to provide additional agitation and added extra time to achieve better clean.
Most manufacturers (almost all) update their model numbers after such major changes to prevent confusion on the marketplace. However, Speed Queen left their model numbers intact. Therefore, we see customer reviews with a major swing in up and down votes on this model. This makes it impossible for someone who is considering to purchase this product to make an informed decision.
- Faster spin. At 820RPM, this is the fastest Speed Queen rinse cycle we’ve seen so far, and that means less time spent drying your clothes (older machines were at 700RPM).
- Less noise. Thanks to a new inverter drive motor and fewer moving parts, Speed Queen machines not only operate more quietly, but also last longer and save more energy.
- Customizable autofill feature. With an autofill feature you can toggle on or off, the Speed Queen washer can analyze whether your clothes are fully submerged and adjust water levels accordingly. This helps make each machine Department of Energy-compliant.
- Extensive 7-year warranty. Each machine features a 7-year, bumper-to-bumper warranty as opposed to the 3-year warranty on TR3 models and 5-year warranty on TR5’s.
- New cloth type menus. The new TR7 and DR7 models feature a brand new menu for selecting unique wash and dry cycles for distinct fabric types.
- Control Lock feature on TR7. Now you can lock controls to prevent accidental or unwanted setting changes by other people in your household.
- Improved movement sync. The carefully synced and choreographed movements of both the top loading washing machine tub and agitator improve wash quality.
- Updated Overdry Protection Technology. This updated feature helps to prevent overdrying clothes, which can lead to shrinkage and excessive wear and tear on fabric.
- Intelligent lid lock feature which allows you to add stray/forgotten pieces of laundry after you start the load. The lid stays unlocked during initial fill so you can add pieces. Lid will lock automatically right before agitation begins.
In addition to the excellent list of new and updated features, here are some of the beloved features making a triumphant return:
- Same high-quality stainless steel inner and outer tub.
- Same ultra-stable suspension system.
- Triple coat painting that resists wear and tear over time.
- Built to last 25 years, or over 10,000 cycles. That means you could use your Speed Queen machine for 20 hours per day, every day of the year for over two decades before it will wear out.
- Protection against extreme moisture, vibration and power surges.
- Electronics tested to perfection and executed in more than 500,000 installations.
- Galvanized steel dryers, as opposed to painted steel used by competitors which often result in decreased durability.
Speed Queen Front Load Washers are Back
After a 2 year hiatus, the residential Speed Queen front load washing machines are back on the market. If you wonder about the difference between the top load vs front load washers read our review that summarizes the pros and cons under 8 factors.
Speed Queen released its residential front loader units in 2 flavors: FF7, the front control and FR7, where the controls are in the rear. Both units come in white. The front control FF7 has also the stainless steel color option.
The new front load washers slightly larger than their previous incarnation at 3.5 cu. ft.
The front load Speed Queen washer and dryer models come with 5-year warranty. The company added OxiClean sanitize option in its products. Also, the new allergy cycles helps remove allergens from clothing.
Please note that front control units comes with left hinge only door. The rear control product has two flavors under separate model numbers for left hinge or right hinge.
Speed Queen Washer vs The Competition
Customers who are new to Speed Queen often bring to mind three areas of distinction - volume, product weight, and price. So how does Speed Queen compare in these areas?
Many high-end, front-loading washing machines found in big-box stores offer a flashy 4.2 cubic feet of volume. So why do Speed Queen washers only offer 3.2 cu. ft.? Well, we asked them. And their answer was both surprising and informative. 3.2 cu. ft. is, in fact, the maximum usable capacity for a washing machine—this is why Speed Queen is able to fill their entire tub with water. Other manufacturers with larger volume tubs use only a fraction of their volume, especially if you follow the manufacturer instructions for loading. Plus, cycle times for a thorough clean are faster in Speed Queen washers by an astounding 20 minutes (36-39 minutes in Speed Queen vs. 59 minutes in flashy name-brand machines.)
Essentially, you can do more laundry in a Speed Queen than you can in other, larger machines. Speed Queen top loading washing machine has been benchmarked at 22 pounds of laundry capability per cycle. This is significantly higher than most competitor products with larger interior volumes.
Speed Queen machines are, on average, 25% heavier than competitors. So why should you consider a heavier machine? Well, it generally comes down to quality. Other brands are lighter, but they also take up a larger footprint. So, what does that tell you about the quality of materials used in their construction? They’re lightweight, cheap, and heavy on plastics. Speed Queen, however, designs products free of lightweight, breakable or plastic parts. They know that their users demand commercial-standard durability and quality, thus the heavier machine weight.
And finally, the #1 most important factor in most customers’ minds - the cost. Speed Queens tend to be priced slightly higher than their comparable competitors. Why is that?
- Each machine uses commercial-grade parts, not lightweight plastics for cheap construction.
- High-quality bearings, load balancing and suspension systems are precisely tuned and built for long-lasting durability and effectiveness.
- Unmatched product warranty right out of the box (3-5 years based on product selection).
- Not all stainless steel tubs are created equally, and Speed Queen uses the absolute upper echelon of stainless steel materials and construction to create a corrosion-resistant tub. It’s no wonder they offer a lifetime guarantee on their operation.
So, is Speed Queen Washer Worth the Money?
In our opinion, the Speed Queen washer is well worth the money. If you are tired of mold and mildew in your front load washer, this brand will give you reliable performance over years to come. Speed Queen is the only residential washing machine that can handle commercial grade load time after time.
In addition, Speed Queen is the market leader in commercial laundry. You will often see this brand in laundrymats.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I buy a Speed Queen?
Rather than following trends, Speed Queen focuses on the basics and gives you best in class top loading washing and drying performance without all the bells and whistles. Their appliances are built to last featuring heavy duty components and simple electronics to ensure reliablity and easier servicability in the field.
What's new in Speed Queen in 2019?
In 2019, Speed Queen introduced their TC5 washer, which brought back their traditional rotating agitator design.
What's the difference between TC5 and TR5?
As a response to negative backlash, Speed Queen introduced the TC5 washer (also known as the TC5000WN) in 2019, bringing back the traditional rotating agitator design their loyal fanbase swore by. The TR washer lineup (TR3, TR5 and TR7) was released in 2017 and features a new type of wash action that moves the drum instead of the agitator for a more gentle wash action.
Where is Speed Queen made?
Speed Queen is a subsidiary of Alliance Laundry Systems LLC, the world's largest manufacturer of commercial laundry. Since 1908, all Speed Queen washers and dryers have been proudly manufactured at Speed Queen's US headquarters in Ripon Wisconsin.
How do I reset my Speed Queen washer?
This is by far the most frequently asked question from our customer base in terms of service calls. Our answer is super simple. Just unplug the washer, wait 60 seconds, and plug it back in.
Do Speed Queen Dryers have a moisture sensor?
Yes. Speed Queen dryers are able to sense moisture content and adjust drying time to prevent excessive drying (aka more wear and tear on fabrics).
The latest upgrades Speed Queen has released can be summed up succinctly: everything you already love, even better. The engineers at Speed Queen have truly looked at each machine from every angle, analyzing how they could take their already industry-leading features and designs and make them even more powerful, durable, and user-friendly. The recent addition of the traditional agitator TC5 model was a big win for Speed Queen. It helped the company get better reviews from its customers as well as review sites such as ours.
All in all, we recommend Speed Queen as the best top loading washing machine in the market today.
Speed Queen washer models used to start with AWNxxx what has changed?
The new lineup of models have been given shortened model numbers for simplicity. In a way Speed Queen made their model names user-friendly. Here are the updated model identifiers: